Adelaide Airport (ADL)
History, Facts and Overview
(Adelaide, Southern Australia - SA, Australia)
Adelaide Airport dates back to 1955, when it officially opened, replacing Parafield Airport, its sister airport, to become the city's number one airfield. Built on the marshy area of Patawalonga Creek in West Torrens, Adelaide Airport was built to cope with rapidly increasing numbers of passengers and has expanded greatly over the years. Recently, a modern domestic and international terminal building was added at the cost of more than $250 million, clearly demonstrating the airport's commitment to service and standards.
Over the years, Adelaide Airport has won a number of significant awards, including 'Australian Capital City Airport of the Year' and currently ranks as the second-best airport of its size in the whole world. Ground transportation options available at Adelaide Airport include group tour coaches, taxis, limousines and Skylink shuttle buses, which link the airport with the downtown Central Business District (CBD) and the Keswick Interstate Railway Terminal.
There are also two convenient shuttle pickup and drop-off points next to the terminal and a short-term car park, along Sir Richard Williams Avenue.
A large retail mall is located within Terminal 1 and covers almost 3,500 square metres / 37,675 square feet in overall size and features around 30 different shops and eateries, often offering a strong South Australia theme and including duty-free stores. Business travellers will be pleased to find free Internet Access throughout Terminal 1, provided by Adelaide Airport Limited (AAL) and Internode.